Sunday, May 2, 2010

Roses, Roses, Roses

In Central Texas, Spring is always a beautiful sight, but this Spring has been particularly pretty since we have had plenty of rain since Fall. This year, I have been so inspired by the blooms, that I am planning to make some paintings of them to sell in my Etsy shop. Here are a few of the blooms that have forced me to " pick up my paints". The above is a rose named Mutabilis. It begins to bloom as a peach color and then turns a deep pink color. It will appear as having several colors of blooms at one time.
This charmer is called, Crepuscule. Each bloom starts out as a peach color and then turns a light yellow. The above is a closeup and below is the vine climbing my back fence. It is a piece of art. I can remember the name of this rose by thinking of creamsicle. The color is almost the same as the orange creamsicles we all enjoyed as kids.
Almost all of my roses are antique roses. They seem to be more disease-resistant and, at least for me, easier to raise and to make cuttings. When I took these pictures, the rose scent was intoxicating and all I could hear were the "buzzing" of bees.
I got a little more creative here, this is a Cecile Brunner rose resting on a piece of milk glass. The background is vintage wallpaper that dates from the 1930's.
These buds are from the Mutabilis.
This is a Mutabilis bloom .
This rose is a climber, but I am unsure of the name. The background is a piece of a vintage wallpaper border.
These little beauties are called, Gabrielle Privat. The little roses are about an inch across. I love the pretty pink color. They are arranged inside a little jadite flower pot. I just love the pink and green together.

No comments:

Post a Comment