Saturday, May 15, 2010

Fresh-Picked Berries

We had a bountiful crop of strawberries in our area this Spring. I recently picked strawberries at a local farm. I froze many of the delicious berries for smoothies and strawberry shortcake, but some I made into jam. If the jam will last long enough, I plan on giving it for gifts at Christmas. I use decorative lids, like the one above, for gift-giving. I also add a bit of vintage ribbon or raffia, and tie on a pretty label, for an instant gift. One that is always very appreciated. My favorite way to enjoy strawberry jam (we call it jelly here in Texas), is spread on the top of a warm, buttered biscuit. Yum, Yum.
I also "picked" these cute, little, cloth berries at an estate sale, recently. The estate sale happened to be from my second grade teacher. She lived to be one-hundred-and-two, and was still able to live at her home. Who knows how long she had had this little basket of berries. I just added the green and natural wood shavings to the basket. It makes for a cute display, especially in the kitchen.

I still plan on picking some more strawberries before the season ends here, which will be soon. Also, the dewberries are beginning to ripen. They too, will make scrumptious jams or jellies.

1 comment:

  1. Cindy,

    Those cloth strawberries are a sweet momento of your second grade teacher. I am sure that you treasure them.
    I bet that strawberry jelly tastes so good! I hope it lasts till Christmas...hint...wink wink!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete