Friday, March 25, 2011

Girls' Day

Recently, my good friend Sharon and I had what we called a "Girls' Day." With my husband working and her husband fishing, we decided to get together and craft in my backyard workshop. Sharon, who is a very creative person, wanted to sew an apron. She brought the cow fabric and some vintage trim and I added the vintage checked fabric. Since the cow fabric was a knit, the bottom was serged to create a ruffled effect. Although we both worked on the design, this was Sharon's first attempt at sewing an apron. She did a great job. She gave it to one of her sisters as a gift.
My mom, who is multi-talented, joined us later that day. She brought her cake decorating supplies and a fresh batch of homemade buttercream frosting and we practiced different cake decorating techniques. My mom has done cakes professionally for weddings and special occasions. I always remember a special decorated cake at my birthday and school parties. My mom and aunt made my wedding cake.


In the above photo, we practiced on a plastic cutting mat, using the various tips such as star, shell, and basket weave. The right tips make it real easy.
The above picture is my attempt at a decorated miniature cake. I like the Spring colors. I felt like it looked better in the photo, than it actually did in real life, but it still tasted great. I think I will stick to sewing.

Sharon and I had so much fun that we decided to schedule another Girls' Day in the near future.

1 comment: